Food waste discharge
Hours of waste discharge
- Waste to be discharged at designated areas between 08:00 p.m. and 04:00 a.m.
- No discharge allowed between Saturday, 04:00 a.m and Sunday, 08:00 p.m.
How to discharge food waste
- Foreign materials and water should be removed as much as possible. Then, put them into food waste plastic bags before discharging to the collection container to prevent water contamination.
- Solid or wrapped items such as vinyl, bottle lid, toothpick, and tea bag, which are not easy to be recycled, must be removed before discharge.
In the mobile environment, you can see the contents by moving left and right.
|Category||Substances Not to Be Collected as Food Waste|
|Meat||Bones or fur of pig and cow|
|Fish, shellfish|| Shell of clam, oyster, cockle, conch, abalone, and sea squirt
Shell of crustacean such as crab, crawfish
|Eggshell||Eggshell, duck egg, quail egg, and ostrich egg|
|Fruit|| Seed of peach, apricot, plum, and persimmon
Thick shell of peanut, chestnut, acorn, coconut, and pineapple
|Scrapes||Scrapes of teas (green tea), medicine herbs|
- If you violate the above or discharge waste illegally, you will incur a fine of less than KRW 1 million.
How to reduce food waste
Participation and voluntary practice of reducing food waste from citizens at home, restaurant, and office by increasing awareness on food waste as valuable assets and by spreading sound food culture.
- Providing a healthy menu at restaurants and cafeterias
- Promoting the "No Food Leftover" movement at cafeterias
- Actively encouraging citizens to spread out sound food culture
- Food waste should be reused as much as possible. Encourage citizens to actively participate in recycling so that the food waste can be reused as necessary resources in everyday life. Prompt and effective recycling system needs to be established, so that discharged food waste will not cause any inconvenience to citizens.
- Promoting "Food Bank" for reusing leftover food
- Promoting a convenient discharge process for citizens by constantly improving the food waste recycling system
- Promoting "Reduction of food waste and ways to discharge waste separately" to the public
- Collected food waste in the final stage should be stably treated through the eco-friendly public compost facility of the city to maximize the recycling of resources and prevent environmental pollution.
- Maximizing recycling activities by expanding infrastructure for transforming food waste into resources
- Establishing a sales system for produced compost, which can be provided to the public for free, preventing soil acidification and creating a resource-circulating city
How to reduce food waste from home
When buying food items
- Buy a small or enough amount of food.
- Check your fridge before going to the grocery store.
- Make daily or weekly meal plans in advance.
- Buy fresh foods to avoid spoilage when storing for a long period.
When cooking or preparing tables at home
- Use measuring cups and devices when cooking.
- Consume enough amount of food by planning in advance.
- Try to cook well to avoid any leftover.
- When serving guests, try to provide only the necessary kinds of side dishes and buffet-style meals.